Sleep and Rest
Extensive research has confirmed what we know to be true: It´s easier to perform, when you are well rested. For instance, it has been shown how important this is for performance in school and at work. Lack of sleep increases the risk of obesity, while severe long-term sleep problems increase the risk of disease.
Sleep requirements decline with age; young children need many hours of sleep – thereafter an amount of 6-8 hours of sleep is optimal for most people.
A rule of thumb is that you should feel rested when you get up in the morning.
Sleep problems can often be resolved with one or more of the following actions:
- Make sure to be tired before going to bed
- Keep regular times for going to sleep and waking up
- Your sleeping room should be dark, quiet and cool
- Avoid stressful and arousing activities before bedtime and help your body and mind to relax (read more: A Refuge, Breathing, Everyday meditation)
- Avoid stimulants before bedtime
- Get plenty of fresh air and exercise during the day
- As far as possible, make sure to solve the days problems before you go to bed and thereby avoid worrying about it at night
- If you cannot fall sleep, get up until you are tired
- In situations of severe sleep problems it may help to skip a night’s sleep totally, in order to be tired enough the next night.
You have a biological clock inside the brain that affects your attention during the day. At regular intervals, around every two hours or so, your attention turns inward. You may loose your fokus, daydreams a little, and may become a little tired.
These quiet moments are important for your memory and for healing the daily wear and tear in body and mind. Therefore when you feel the urge to rest, you should take it seriously. It then becomes easier to look after your health, avoid stress and errors, to keep your spirits high and your memory in good shape.
You don´t necessarily need to go and lie down and rest. It’s often enough to allow yourself to be somewhat quiet and introverted for a few minutes, then you are ready to take action again.